"Quick-Pieced Half-Square Triangles"
There are many methods used for piecing half-square triangle units, without handling the stretchy bias edges of individual triangles. The method you select will depend on the number of units you need to create and the color combinations you require.
HOW TO MAKE "QUICK-PIECED" HALF-SQUARE TRIANGLE UNITS
This "quick-piecing half-square triangle method" is a good choice whenever you're making a scrap quilt or need just a few units in specific color combinations. And, it avoids handling the stretchy bias edges of the fabric, giving you a more "accurate" result!
Follow these -- step-by-step instructions:
- Cut squares from contrasting (light and dark) fabrics.
- Using a pencil or quilting marker, draw a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner on the wrong side of all the light colored squares of fabric.
- Pair up the light and dark squares of fabric. Place with right sides together, edges matching and the light fabric face up.
- Stitch a scant ¼" seam on BOTH SIDES of the drawn line. If you do not have a ¼" foot you will need to draw in these sewing lines as well as the diagonal cutting line.
- Use scissors or a rotary cutter to cut the squares along each drawn line.
- Finger press each pieced square open with the seam allowance placed towards the darker of the two fabrics and carefully press each unit open with a warm-hot iron.
- Trim the fabric points so you have a neatly finished square.
- You will end up with two identical half square triangle units for each set of squares you sew. The straight grain of each triangle will be along the outer edges of the square unit.
- Measure each unit to ensure you have the correct finished size.
- Once you are confident that your seam allowance is correct and the finished block size is accurate, use the chain-piecing technique to make several units quickly.
OR if you have lots of half-square triangle units to make, you might like to use the super-quick, "grid-piecing" method.
Click Here to learn about...
"Grid-Pieced Half-Square Triangle" techniques
I hope you've found these instructions for "making quick-pieced, half-square triangles" useful.
Take a look at other "expert" hints and tips available at PNQ Online!
OR... subscribe to PNQ Online's monthly ezine and have these expert quilting hints and tips delivered directly to your email box.
Return to top of Quick-Pieced Half-Square Triangle Instructions